Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Wednesday Writers Tips... Resolutions or Goals


What's the difference between Resolutions and Goals? 

IMHO Resolutions are what you make on New Year's Eve when you realize you didn't achieve what you wanted over the last year and another year is now gone. The New Year is looming and you make yourself a promise to do better in the coming year.

But Goals are what you layout with much thought and planning, steps that will take you through the new year so you can achieve the greatness you know you possess.

I recently participated in a goal setting seminar. It was very intense and I still have a lot of work to do to refine my goals. I've been writing my goals in Evernote (I was just introduced to this nifty app) but being a visual type person, I think I need to layout a big piece of paper and use the brainstorm technique to finalize my goals.

One tip I learned in the seminar is to review your goals often. Put them up on your office wall, add them to your calendar, keep them near the top of your mind so you don't lose the momentum.

Another tip I learned was to set goals for your personal life as well as your professional life. In doing this I realized that my "annual resolution" to lose weight and exercise is actually very important to my professional and personal goals. Without good health and energy, it's a lot harder to accomplish those goals. So I put that at the top. Then I have my professional goals to write and publish x number of books, and grow my business this year. And don't forget relationship goals. Mine is to do more for my 91-year-old mother. She's far from being a frail little old lady, but she does need more help with shopping and chores.

What is one goal you can set that could help you accomplish all your other goals?

2 comments:

  1. Dear Christy, I missed you when you were in Minden in Oct. I am the program coordinator for the Friends of the Library in South Lake Tahoe and I was wondering if you were going to be up this way, we'd love for you to launch "A Daddy for Luke" as part of our 2014 series. Please write me Tahoe.Programs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Denise. I'll contact you.

    ReplyDelete