Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wednesday Writers Tips... Read about other writers' journeys



Being a writer can be a solitary life. If you don't belong to a writers group, if there are no writers groups in your area, and if you don't know many writers, you can feel like a lone sailboat in a really big ocean.

For the first seven years after I started writing seriously there was no one I could talk to face-to-face about writing. I had cyber acquaintances, but no friends going through the same thing I was. About a year ago a former workmate called to say she heard I was writing and so was she. Now we are a writing buddies, someone to talk to who understands. I also have a friend who is a reader and faithful supporter. She's always asking about my process of writing. She gives me the opportunity to talk about what I'm doing to someone who is actually interested.

One of the great things about having other writer friends is learning that you're not alone in what you are going through, which brings me to this week's tip: Read about other writers' journeys. You won't feel so alone, you'll identify with their experiences, you'll learn some tips and you'll confirm that... Yes, I am a writer just like they are.

A great collection of writers' experiences is Secrets of Successful Writers by Darrell Pitt. Pitt interviewed fifty authors, who talk about their writing, how they became published and how they market themselves. Collected from interviews he conducted on his web site www.darrellpitt.com over several years.

The writers include traditionally and indie published. Pitt includes an interview with John Locke, the first self published ebook author to sell over one million copies of his novels.

Some interview questions include:

  • Can you describe a typical day of writing?
  • Do you plot a story out completely first or do you let it lead you in certain directions if the need arrises?
  • If you had a single piece of advice to had to someone trying to become an author, what would it be?
  • Where do you see the future for writers now that ebooks have arrived?
  • What made you want to become a writer in the first place?


You'll be sure to identify with these interviewees.

This is the kind of book you can snatch snippets from on your mobile device at odd times while waiting  in line, sitting in the doctor's office, waiting for the kids to tie their shoes before soccer practice.

For more reviews of writer's books check out my bookshelf.

2 comments:

  1. I miss that local connection in my area. I used to have a circle of friends who were also writers but over the years they moved away or we lost contact. It definitely makes a difference to have someone you can talk to face-to-face about the ups and downs, failures and successes of the writer's journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mae, that's disappointing to have your writing friends move away. Hopefully some new writing friends will move in to fill the gap.

    ReplyDelete