Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wednesday Writers...

This is a busy week and my second without a computer. However, my new one has arrived at the dealer in the city and my files have been transferred. Hopefully all of them. My last several MSS are on DropBox so I'm not too worried about them. It's all the other stuff I'm concerned with. I'll head to the city tomorrow morning to pick it up. I'll be glad to get back to my 23" monitor and my ergonomic key board. My iPod Touch has been a life savor through this, but it's so tiny!

This is the week I'm attending the sheriff's office Senior Citizens Law Enforcement Academy. Each day this week from 1 to 5. Most attendees at there to prepare for or refresh their knowledge of being part of the Volunteer Patrol, which supports the sheriff and fire agencies. We learned the structure of both agencies and their services to the community, learned about gang activities (luckily its low in our area due to the task force's efforts. Yesterday we got to tour the jail, which was of special interest to me as the hero of my next to be released book, A DADDY FOR LUKE, ends up in the Cottonwood  County jail. We also learned investigation and evidence procedure. Today we'll have four hours with the SWAT team and after that we'll do some finger printing.

Have you taken any classes or attended any lectures that would normally be out of your comfort zone just to get more information for something that you're writing? I'd like to hear about.

~ Christy

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a wealth of information, Christy. I would love to take something like that in my area. Years ago I took a handgun safety course that was out of my comfort zone but extremely informative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to take a handgun safety class, too. I didn't even handle any of the guns at the lecture, and they had a lot out there. Mostly, I didn't want to push my way through the throng of men salivating over the display talking gun talk the same way they salivate over classic cars and talk car talk.
    Today we covered K9, SAR, and Mounted Posse. Then were invited to stay over and dust for finger prints. More on that and our last day on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete