Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Feature: Shrimp veggie wrap

I'm always looking for ways to make a sandwich without bread and veggie warps are the perfect way to do it. When I was small my mother used to make wraps for my brother and me. She would spread peanut butter on a lettuce or cabbage leaf and top it with raisins or sliced apples then roll it up. I think that was a pretty smart way to get kids to eat healthy foods. We loved them. 

But now I'm all grown up and I like more sophisticated dishes. So I picked this wrap recipe to make this weekend. 

Tomorrow I see my doctor for my semi-annual check up. I hope that the tests I've taken placate her enough that she overlooks my weight gain. On New Year's Day, like a lot of others, I planed out my weight loss for the year. Oops. Life, job, the stresses of both got the better of me. The best I can do is take one day at a time. And keep in touch with my friend who lost a bunch of weight, then gained a lot back after three life stresses hit her one after the other. Now she's been able to recapture her "Focus", as she calls it, and is back on the losing side. I need to find my focus. I have something up my sleeve regarding weight loss, which I will announce in a few weeks. ~Christy



Summer Rolls

Servings:  4
Active time:  25 minutes
Total time:  50 minutes

1          teaspoon fresh lime juice
1          teaspoon dark (toasted) sesame oil
1          small red chile pepper, seeded and minced
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
8          large green or red leaf lettuce leaves
1          medium carrot, julienned
1          small daikon radish, julienned
1/2       cup mung bean sprouts
1/4       cup peanuts, toasted and chopped

Combine lime juice, sesame oil, chile and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.

Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add shrimp; simmer until pink, about 3 minutes. Drain; add to lime juice mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate until cool, about 10 minutes.

Set lettuce leaves on a counter with stem ends toward you. Press against the “spines” until you hear a crunch to make it easier to roll.

Divide carrot, daikon and sprouts among leaves, setting them in the centers toward the bottom. Divide shrimp among leaves; sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Roll lettuce from the bottom up.

Place each roll, seam side down, on a sheet of plastic wrap; wrap tightly and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Remove wrap; cut rolls in half and serve.

Per Serving: Net Carbs: 4 grams; Total Carbs: 6 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Protein: 15 grams; Fat: 7 grams; Calories: 150

For more recipes, tips, ideas and free tools, visit www.atkins.com.

From “The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook” by Colette Heimowitz.  Copyright (c) 2011 by Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.  Printed by permission of Touchstone Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment