Saturday, January 26, 2013

Needing the Nibble


January is nearly over. The first month of a new year is traditionally a time when minds turn to resolutions. Some of the top resolutions: Diet and Exercise. Although I gave up writing down my resolutions years ago, every New Year I restart my resolution to lose weight. Some years with success, more without. 

The hardest part for me is getting through ‘needing the nibble’. When I’m writing my mind and hands are fully occupied with the story and needing the nibble doesn’t become an issue. But when I’m editing, revising, researching, in other words, using my left brain, I need the nibble! Maybe it’s because I’m a right-brained person and when I have to go into left-brain mode I become insecure and my need to comfort myself with nibbling  becomes overpowering. I recognize that it is a procrastination technique. —Procrastination... that’s another topic for another blog.— Recognition is the first step. I recognize that I’m putting off the harder tasks of editing and revising by leaving my desk and haunting the pantry. Luckily, there’s not much in there to snack on, as I have pretty good resistance at the market. 

This new year I’ve rededicated myself to using my digital calorie counter. I use LoseIt!, but there are several out there for mobile devices. Being mobile is the key because you can track your calories in and out as you go, instead of a the end of the day when you learn too late that you’ve gone over your goal. I’ve had success with this method in the past and want to do it again. 

The next step? Find a way to break the need to nibble, to reduce the need to procrastinate, gain confidence in my ability to edit and revise

Do you have new year’s resolutions? Are you still sticking to it in the last days of January? 

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Christy! One of my goals (not resolutions) this year is to work on better health and fitness as well as writing more and posting more blogs. I write more, but blog posting... This program, Lose It, looks like something I can use on the go to meet my health and fitness goal. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia, keeping track of calories can be tedious. An app like LoseIt! makes it so much easier, even fun. I have the app on my iPod Touch and on my Nook, and I access the web site on my laptop. They all sync with each other, so a change on one updates to the others.

      Delete