Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Savory-Toothed Tiger...


Growing up I had a sweet tooth. Like most kids, I was all about the candy, cake and ice cream. Easter baskets had hidden treasure under the synthetic grass, Christmas stocking always produced some chocolate coins along with the orange in the toe. Then there was Halloween — the BIG HAUL. I was always amazed when my friends were still pulling candy out from their under-the-bed stash long after my candy was gone.

But as an adult I no longer have a sweet tooth. I now have a savory tooth. I crave savory, salty foods. Tonight I had sauerkraut and wieners. My mom could never get me to eat it want I was a kid. The sauerkraut, that is. I now prefer savory-salty snacks over ice cream; main dishes with lots of flavor over cookies. 

Either sweet or savory-salty, too much of a good thing is not good. So I’m always keeping my eye out for savory, low salt, vegetarian recipes. 

The Savory-Toothed Tiger, watch out for her!



Here’s a couple recipes adapted from Dr. Fuhrman’s Nutritarian-style recipes. The first is a creamy dressing which I really love, but don’t make too often since it’s easier just to grab my Spicy Ranch from the fridge. Second is a recipe for oatmeal. I’ve never liked oatmeal, just too porridgy , but this is good and you can adjust it for what you have on hand.  


Creamy Dressing
Ingredients
1/2 c raw cashews
½ almond milk (soy, or hemp milk)
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 T lemon juice
1 t dried dill weed
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t garlic powder
3 T tomato paste
1 rounded T date sugar or 1-2 pitted dates.
1/2 cucumber, peeled and separated into two equal portions (finely chop one of the two portions).
2 T finely chopped onion

Directions
In food processor or high-powered blender, blend together cashews, milk, vinegar, lemon juice, spices, tomato paste, date sugar and half of the cucumber until smooth (use the cucumber portion that is not finely chopped)
Remove from blender and fold in remaining finely chopped cucumber and the finely chopped onion.
NB: I have a little Bullet type blender. It comes with a nut grinder that makes the cashews into a fine powder, so I grind them first then add them to the blender with the other ingredients.  I also use less cucumber and add some of the onion to the blended ingredients. 

Purple Oatmeal
Ingredients
1 3/4 cups water
1 cup old-fashioned oats
4 pitted dates, chopped
1/4 teaspoon coriander
2 bananas, sliced
1 cup chopped or grated apple
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1/4 chopped almonds or pecans
Instructions
In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil and stir in all ingredients except blueberries and ground flax seeds. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in blueberries. Sprinkle flax seeds on top or stir in. Cover for 2-3 minutes before serving.

1 comment: