Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm feeling nostalgic...

I'm feeling nostalgic, not for my childhood or that one summer between high school and college where I didn't have a care in the world. I'm feeling nostalgic for the year 2005. That was the year "writing seriously" took over my life. That's when I couldn't wait to get home from work, get through dinner and dishes and shut my self in my office (/studio/craft room/storage/junk room) and just write. That year the characters and stories that had been rattling around in my brain forever, coalesced. That summer I house-sat for a friend and had a month all to myself just to write.

I miss that freeform, that ignorance of story structure, that pure joy in discovering the story and where it would take me. I wrote four novels that year and started several others. 

Since then? I've been learning the craft, revising, polishing, taking workshops, establishing a social media base, rewriting, and more rewriting. 

Like Marcie Winters in my upcoming book HER SCOTTISH CEO, I have a dream and I'm working hard to reach it. Also, like Marcie, I've had disappoinments, but I set them aside and I push on. Though, it would be nice to have a handsome Scotsman like Greg McInnis on the journey with me...



I still can't wait to get home after work, get through dinner and dishes and close myself in my office. In fact, I spend may unproductive moments at work (when I'm waiting for the computer to catch up with me or I'm doing a task I know so well I don't need to keep my mind on it) thinking about whichever of my WIPs are calling out to me. I send myself notes by email. And even with HER SCOTTISH CEO, which will be published soon, I think of more ways to improve it, more ways to clarify a scene.  

And I can't wait for that day when I can again let the works flow freely, but with the knowledge to do it right in the first place. I feel closer to that day every day. 


2 comments:

  1. Great post Christy! Of late, I've been feeling nostalgic--wishing for the time again when I was free to do as I pleased when I wanted to and spend time with loves ones that are no longer with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia, I keep thinking of things I wanted to ask my father but never thought of it when we spent time together before he died. Now I'll never know the answers. They were silly, unimportant questions, which is why I never thought of them when my time with him was limited. I wish he had lived long enough to see my first book in print. But he was always proud of whatever I did.

    ReplyDelete