Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Monday Meal...


I promised the other day to post this recipe that I was going to make for a work pot luck. It was cleaned up, everyone liked it. 




Crock Pot Enchilada Bake

This is my answer to alleviating the frustration of trying to roll corn tortillas for enchiladas. 

Put everything in a crock pot, mix after each addition. Set in high for a couple of hours then on low or warm for a couple more hours until the tortillas are cooked soft.

This is a double recipe I made for a work pot luck. 

2 14oz cans tomato sauce
1/2 c water
1/2 pk Lawry's Enchilada Sauce mix (or more to taste)
1/2 onion, chopped (or more to taste)
1 14oz can red kidney beans, drained
1 14oz sweet corn, drain and reserve 1/2 c liquid
1/2 c liquid from the corn
1 sm can chopped green chills, drained
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 T cilantro, chopped
2 c cheddar cheese, grated reserve 1/2 c for topping
6 corn tortillas cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inch square pieces
Mix all and top with reserved 1/2 c cheddar cheese, grated.

The next time I made this just for the family (half a recipe) I took the left overs and stuffed them in flour tortillas that I had brushed with a little butter (don't tell any one) and fried them in a non stick pan, turned and fried until warmed through. Family really like both versions. 

This is the kind of recipe you can change depending on what you have on hand. It's the corn tortillas that make the dish different from chili or a bean dish.  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, Christy. Nice and hearty! I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I'm a disaster in the kitchen, I think maybe I could handle this. Sounds yummy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete